Now that those April showers are finally out the way, it’s time to explore the Exchange and enjoy these longer spring days! Here are a few highlights of what’s going on in the neighbourhood for this month’s First Fridays in the Exchange and the beginning of May.
First Fridays in the Exchange
- Cordova Tapas – Bodega Boogie is taking over the restaurant with another groovy party featuring DJ Stop
- Artbeat Studio – It’s opening night for Bear Necessities by Artbeat multimedia alumnus Ursa Burdenkeeper
- Nonsuch Brewing Co – Guest Chefs Shu Chen and Tom Sherwin from Clementine are popping up in the Taproom with a special First Friday menu
- Seduta Art – Pop Bar will be in the shop 11 am-1 pm and then Pretty Baked Goods is slinging Jamaican beef patties from 6 pm-11 pm
- Little Brown Jug – The brewery is hosting live music in the taproom starting at 8 pm featuring electrifying local artist Brandon Post
- Fleet Galleries – There is an opening reception for Mary Anne Rudy Emotive Moments and Ed Bacenko On the Edge of Intent
- The Manitoba Museum – Brass on the Nonsuch, Telescopes on the Plaza, Sketch Night and Top Gun Science are all part of the Museum’s inaugural First Friday
- Bevvy Teyems – The framing shop and artist market hosts @knotyourpeach for its first ever Life Drawing Session
- Video Pool Media Arts Centre – It’s closing night for Tracing Currents by Chukwudubem Ukaigwe
- Northlore – Make and take a seed bomb to sow Spring wildflowers in your neighbourhood
- Katie + Gunner – Enjoy mimosas while shopping drawings, prints, sculpture and jewellery for Mother’s Day
See the full list of participating galleries, shops and artists here.
Winnipeg Comedy Festival
The Winnipeg Comedy Festival has been filling rooms with laughter since 2002! Tonight, comedian and producer Mike Green is partnering with the Winnipeg Comedy Fest for a series of mini-shows at a never-before-used rooftop venue for Secret Stand Up in the Exchange. Shows are every half hour, starting at 6pm and ending at 10:30pm (to purchase tickets, text 204-997-2169). 201 Portage joins the fun and presents a very special free performance at its conference centre at 12:15 pm on Thursday, May 5th (register here). Wee Johnny’s is also hosting a week-long line-up of Winnipeg Comedy Fest shows (see the schedule here).
Luckygirl Spring Pop Up
May 5th + 6th at Centennial Concert Hall
The luckygirl Spring POP UP evening market event will once again fill the iconic Centennial Concert Hall with over 70 local vendors, including many Exchange District Makers such as Nimis Design, Souvenir Handmade, Bearface General Store, Commonwealth Mfg and more. Patent 5 Distillery will also be shaking up a purple blossom cocktail for the event! Learn more and get tickets here.
Mothers Day Events
- Shop Take Care – A few local makers and creators are popping up in the shop on Sunday May 8th for a Mother’s Day themed celebration
- Denatured Lab – The perfume lab is hosting Mother’s Day Perfume Creation Sessions this weekend featuring champagne, themed gift bags and good vibes (register here)
- Pottery Empire – Head to the 2nd floor of 70 Albert for a Mother’s Day Pottery Sale on Friday, May 6th from 5 pm-9 pm
La Pizza Week
Participating Exchange District Restaurants