Summer Job Opportunity
Historic Tour Guide: Full Time Available (April – August) EDB001
Historic Tour Guide: Full Time Available (July – August) EDB002
The Exchange District National Historic Site, named after the original grain exchange, is a 20-block urban area in the downtown of Winnipeg. The Exchange is known for its intact collection of cut-stone and terra cotta buildings dating from the turn of the 20th century. The Exchange District Business Improvement Zone (BIZ) operates a guided walking tour program of this unique area to promote its national historical significance. The tours provide an overview of the types of architecture found in the area and describe the contributions of area businesses and prominent personalities to the evolution of the city. The overall responsibility of the Historic Tour Guide is to provide a top quality educational, recreational and interpretive experience for tour patrons and to showcase the area’s modern-day amenities.
• Deliver scheduled walking, food and photography tours on program delivery days;
• Deliver walking tours to pre-arranged special groups and drop in guests;
• Learn two distinct two-hour tour scripts (East and West Exchange District) and up to eight “specialty theme tours”, 45 minutes – 3 hours in duration;
• Assist with walking tour marketing and promotional activities;
• Attain sound knowledge of the commemorative integrity statement and the historical themes of the Exchange District National Historic Site;
• Become familiar with current events occurring in The Exchange as well as other amenities including restaurants, entertainment venues, specialty shops, etc.
• Reports directly to the Project Manager: Marketing & Communications;
• Has extensive knowledge of tour scripts and ancillary information;
• Leads groups on walking tours providing an enthusiastic, accurate, courteous, friendly, and enjoyable narrative to participants;
• Properly and accurately account for monies collected from tour participants;
• Follows all security system procedures when accessing building interiors on tours;
• Ensures tour surveys are handed out, collected and submitted to the Project Manager;
• Is aware of both Exchange District and other Winnipeg tourism attractions and activities.
• The proven ability to perform as an effective public speaker;
• An educational background in history, architecture, urban studies, drama or a related field;
• An ability to navigate by foot the Exchange and downtown area;
• The ability to communicate in English is necessary. French is an asset;
• A commitment to providing professional customer service;
• Knowledge of basic photography techniques is an asset;
• The flexibility to work weekdays, weekends, split shifts and in inclement weather.
Must be available to work April 24 – August 31.
Classification: Seasonal / Full-time
Salary: $13.00 per hour
Application Deadline: March 30, 2017
Submit cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Please indicate in subject line whether you are applying for full time April – August (EDB001) or full time July – August (EDB002).
We thank all those who apply, however only candidates chosen
for an interview will be contacted.