Exchange District Business Improvement Zone (BIZ)
Job Posting – Foot Patrol
About the Exchange District BIZ
The Exchange District Business Improvement Zone (BIZ) is a non-profit organization providing programs and services to the Exchange District in the areas of marketing, special events, safety, cleanliness and community improvement.
The Exchange District is a 20-square-block downtown neighbourhood recognized as a National Historic Site. Our mission is to champion the unique character of the district and create a clean, safe and thriving environment for business. We are seeking a dedicated, personable Foot Patrol to join our team.
The Foot Patrol is responsible for providing a street level, uniformed presence in the Exchange District which offers a variety of assistance to users of the area.
The Foot Patrol will liaise with the BIZ membership and other related organizations such as the Winnipeg Police Service on safety matters pertaining to the Exchange District. The Foot Patrol reports to the Operations Manager.
The Foot Patrol will:
• Successfully complete the Exchange District BIZ Foot Patrol training program.
• Have sound knowledge of the BIZ safety program policies, goals and objectives.
• Have in-depth knowledge and complete familiarity with downtown and Exchange District safety issues and trends.
• Become familiar with other established patrol programs and related service agencies.
• Liaise with the Winnipeg Police Service and/or Winnipeg Cadets on safety issues.
• Provide effective community relations with BIZ members and the public.
• Perform data collection, note-taking and create status and incident reports.
• Help to maintain accurate filing and administration related to the foot patrol program.
• Help to maintain good working condition of foot patrol equipment, uniforms and supplies.
• Help to maintain a clean and organized office environment.
• In consultation with the Operations Manager, make recommendations and suggestions on program improvement.
• Perform other duties as required.
Skills & Qualifications
• Be punctual, organized and work effectively in a team environment.
• Have knowledge of the principles of community policing and problem-solving skills.
• Must be physically able to meet the requirements of patrolling on foot.
• Must possess a valid certificate in First Aid.
• Prior experience with note-taking, non-conflict resolution and by-laws pertaining to public nuisance and powers of arrest is considered an asset.
• An educational background in justice or law enforcement is also considered an asset.
• The Foot Patrol will also ensure a commitment to professional customer service and the flexibility to work evenings and weekends.
• This is an ideal position for a person planning to work in policing or another career related to law enforcement.
Education: Minimum Grade 12 or equivalency required.
Starting wage: $14.35 / hour starting salary plus benefits after 3 months.
Start Date: Immediately
Please forward your resume, cover letter and three references to:
Exchange District BIZ
492 Main Street