The Alleyways Market in the Exchange has been going strong since 2016, and in 2018 we expanded the event to include swing dancing and an art lounge at the Artspace Building. This year, we’d love to do even more. That’s where you come in.
Do you have an idea for activating an alleyway in the Exchange District? Is there a project you’ve been wanting to get off the ground, but didn’t have the venue? Now is your chance! We are looking for people or groups to put on an event during Alleyways Market, which takes place the first Friday of June, July, August and September.
Please read the full call outline below, or download the form as a PDF file here.
ALLEYWAYS MARKET 2019 CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Alleyways in the Exchange is an event program designed to boost entertainment, activity and vibrancy in the Exchange District by supporting event producers/businesses/individuals in activating alleyways during First Fridays in summer.
BIZ: Exchange District BIZ
Applicant: Event organizer/organization/individual/business
Event: Activation to be produced, if approved. This could include activities, art installations, performances, unique use of space etc.
First Fridays in summer: June 7, July 5, August 2, September 6
The BIZ has the sole responsibility for assessing applications. Successful applicants will be provided with support including but not limited to logistical support and advice, event infrastructure, and promotional assistance and guidance from the BIZ.
The Goals & Objectives
- Encourage people to explore the Exchange District through interesting uses of its many alleyways
- Encourage creative approaches to vibrant outdoor public and private spaces
- Increase foot traffic for BIZ Members through direct connections with a larger portfolioof events
- Demonstrate event support services and collaboration opportunities available through the BIZ
- Event must be located in an alley within the Exchange District BIZ’s boundaries. See specific location details at exchangedistrict.org
- Event must NOT compete with the existing Alleyways Market in the Exchange
- Applications are open to city and provincial events
- Event budget and extensive details about the event must be provided in the application
- An agreement detailing the terms and conditions will be signed by both parties
- Applications may be rejected if they do not meet standards of preparedness, don’t fill out the application form completely, do not fit with the vision of the stakeholders or if they conflict with known BIZ Member services or initiatives
Preference will be given to events that demonstrate the following criteria:
- Demonstrates that a wide variety of the general public will be drawn to the event from around the city and/or province. Some considerations include, but are NOT limited to:
- Event is family-friendly.
- Event is free for the general public to attend.
- Event is interactive and/or participatory
- Event is accessible to all.
- Event takes into consideration the existing events, activities and businesses
- Event takes into consideration diversity, creativity and innovation.
- Organizers show a commitment to minimize the environmental impact of the event
- Strong connection to BIZ Members
- Event will engage BIZ Members
- Event will have a positive impact on BIZ Members
- Event demonstrates economic connectivity/partnerships with BIZ Members – restaurants, retail, hotel and other businesses
- Capacity of applicant
- Applicant has the capacity to carry out the project activities given event experience, resources and/or abilities. This could include hired and/or volunteer resources.
- Costs are reasonable and realistic for proposed activities at prevailing market rates.
- Organization has the financial stability to ensure the proposal can be successfully implemented.
- All applications must be submitted online. Applications must include:
- Detailed event description
- Detailed budget showing expenses
- Site plans
- General applications and all accompanying materials must be received before May 10, 2019. Contact email@example.com with any questions.